March is a great time to get out and enjoy the snow. The days are longer, the sun is stronger, and the daytime temperatures are warmer. And this winter, with a deep base at the ski
resorts, XC centers and out in the woods, the snow is ideal for a spring fling on or off the trails. Here are a few ideas for spring outdoor fun this weekend and beyond:
- Take a Long Weekend: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on the slopes and enjoy some savings too. Attitash, Bretton Woods and Wildcat are all offering $17 tickets on St. Patrick’s Day, Monday, March 17, as is Cranmore if you’re wearing green!
- Take the Kids to Meet their Favorite Storybook Character: The Theater at the 100 Acre Woods is hosting a Character Breakfast on Saturdays, starting Saturday, March 15 and running through April 19. Breakfast is $5 a person; children under 3 are free. Enjoy a small breakfast with pancakes, listen to a story and visit with the week’s character. Cat in the Hat will be coming on March 15.
- Zaniness on the Slopes: March is the perfect time for fun and silliness on the slopes! Break out the neon green and the dayglo and head to Attitash for Mullet Mayhem 80s Weekend on March 15 and 16. Help raise funds for the Conway Area Humane Society at Cranmore on March 15 during the Mountain Musher Sled Race. Gather up a team of six people – one person “mushes,” one person sits in the sled, and four pull – all in the name of good fun and a good cause. Enjoy a Scavenger Hunt at Black Mountain on March 15, race down the slopes at Shawnee Peak on a mattress during the Mattress Race on March 15, or dress up for a Costume Parade at King Pine on March 16.
- Kick Back and Enjoy Some Music: After a day of skiing, head to the Den at Bear Peak for Den Sessions, a weekly acoustic series every Saturday from 2:00 to 4:30 pm. Wildcat will be hosting their popular Blues & Brunch event on Sunday, March 16, with a $14.95 brunch buffet and a rockin’ blues band for your listening pleasure. Lostbo Pub at Black Mountain will have live music with Ben Cook on March 15, and Tim Dion on March 16.
- Take a Ride: With longer days, warmer temperatures, and a deep snow base throughout the Mt. Washington Valley, March is the perfect time to take a ride and explore the woods and fields. Take a ride on a snowmobiling, dog sled or take a sleigh ride. The possibilities are endless!